De Architektuur van Suriname, C.L. Temminck Groll, A.R.H. Tjin A Djie, De Walburg Pers, Zutphen
Subject: [History, Tourism] The Powder House at Fort New Amsterdam
The powder house was built in 1739/40. The original building had no windows and much thicker walls. The powder house was condemned in 1779 and restored in 1966-1968 to its present state with some modifications. The brick building is size 14X5.5m with walls of 70cm thickness.
The powder house of 1778 (size 8.8X16.6m) was found in 1960 in a total state of neglect. The trench around the powder house had also disappeared. The building was restored in 1966-69 to its present state.
Both powder houses were part of Fort New Amsterdam complex now a place for many citizens of Paramaribo to spend a nice Sunday and for a picnic.
Met dank aan Albert Buys